B.A., Geoscience: Geography Focus
Florida Atlantic University
Bachelor of Arts, Geoscience: Geography Focus
A. B.A. in Geosciences with a Geography focus at Florida Atlantic University will give you an understanding of not only where phenomena are located upon the Earth’s surface, but how they came to be there. Geographic Information Sciences (GIS) allow us to manage and analyze these spatial relationships. If you choose to be a Geography major, be prepared for an exciting career in a variety of industries, both in the private and public sectors.
The science of Geography is the all-encompassing study of the planet upon which we live. Contrary to common public perception, it is not just the study of where things are, but rather the study of how those things came to be there in the first place, and how they have changed over time. This study accounts for both the influences of nature (Physical Geography) and man (Human Geography). Physical geographers study patterns of climates, land forms, vegetation, soils, and water, with a view to understanding the physical layout of the Earth. Human geographers, meanwhile, are concerned with the spatial aspects of human existence - how people and their activity are distributed in space, how they use and perceive space, and how they create and sustain the places that make up the Earth's surface. The Geographic Information Sciences (GIS) empower geographers to both map and analyze the spatial patterns associated with both of these sub-disciplines. While geographers will ultimately specialize in one of these areas of Geography, when you are seeking a Bachelor’s degree in Geography you will have the opportunity to study each prior to determining your concentration.
What can I do with this degree?
Geography graduates are employed in a wide range of sectors, including the public sector, education, commerce, industry, transport and tourism. Furthermore, the job prospects for Geography majors is bright. (http://www.geosciences.fau.edu/GeographyJobs.pdf).
- Environmental Consultant
- Conservation Officer
- Urban Planning
What’s in it for you:
- A personal coach to guide you through the enrollment process and along the path to graduation.
- 100% fully online classes.
- Credit for college credits previously earned from accredited institutions.
- Scholarships, financial aid and grants for eligible students.
- Complete Florida application
- $30.00 application fee
- If you have less than 30 hours of college course credit:
- If you have less than 30 college credits, you have to have left your previous school in good standing with a 2.5 or better GPA. You will also need to provide ACT or SAT scores.
- If you have more than 60 hours of college course credit:
- If you have 60 or more transferable credits, you have to have left your previous school in good standing with a 2.5 or better GPA. You would also need to have your foreign language requirement completed.
- If you have your Associates Degree:
- If you already have your Associates Degree, you can be admitted to most any program. However, College of Business, College of Engineering & Computer Science, School of Communication and Multimedia Studies, and Music majors are selective and have additional requirements. Please talk to a Complete Florida Coach.